1 cup scalded and cooled milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups flour, unsifted
1 cup margarine, soft
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 cup very warm water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup margarine melted
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp. soft margarine
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. hot water
- Put salt, sugar and flour in large bowl. Cut in margarine until mixture looks like meal.
- Dissolve yeast in water; add dissolved yeast, cooled milk and beaten egg yolks to flour mixture. Beat well and chill overnight in refrigerator. (Dough may be kept a day or two in refrigerator.)
- Roll 1/2 of chilled dough into rectangle, 12"x10" on floured board. Brush with melted margarine and then sprinkle dough with: 1/4 cup sugar mixed with 3/4 tsp. cinnamon.
- Beginning at wide side, roll as for jelly roll. Cut in 12-1" slices and place cut side down in 9 x 13 pan. (Place rolls 3 across and 4 down.) Repeat these steps for 2nd piece of dough.
- Cover and let rise in warm place about 2 hours. Dough will not double, but will rise slightly and look light.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While still warm, drizzle both pans of rolls with Creamy Glaze. Let rolls cool. Using a bread knife, cut rolls as for a sandwich bun.
- Place rolls cut side down on heavily buttered grill or skillet that is set at low to medium temperature. Grill until lightly brown.
- Put top and bottom halves together. Sift lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Makes 2 dozen rolls.
Watch pictures of Toasted Rolls being made during Alumni Weekend Campus Tours